8-11-13/Stable, but still tired/Organ Donation/Medications

A few things in today’s post.   First, I am stable at a Creatinine of 2.1. That’s the good news. The bad news is that I am still stable at a Creatinine of 2.1, which equals an eGFR of 39.  For those outside of the know, that means my one good kidney is operating at … Continue reading

6-4-13/Still Stable

I was at Yale yesterday and my creatinine was 2.3. It was 2.1 two weeks ago and everything else looks good. They do not want to see me for 8 weeks!   I am still tired much of the time, but feel good when I am not, and still do not feel sick when I … Continue reading

5-10-13/Hospital Again, But Things Okay

I spent two days last week in the hospital with a 103F fever. They pumped me full of fluids and everything worked out okay. Just painful and scary for a while.   I woke up with chills and a fever at 4AM and called the Yale hotline. They said to come right to the ER … Continue reading

4-8-13/Good News & Bad News

First the good news. Friday marks one year since the transplant. I had a party last weekend to celebrate and many people came to share in the joy with me and Maria.    However, we may have celebrated a little too soon. I was at Yale on Friday and my creatinine was 2.5. Not crazy, … Continue reading

3-12-13/BK Dropping

I heard from Yale late last week, but didn’t have time to write. Frankly, I have been pushing pretty hard (at work mostly) and my body is pushing back. I slept most of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and returned to the living today.   The BK Virus dropped substantially last month, after only a small … Continue reading

3-1-13/3 months of Stability!!!!!!!

I was at Yale today and my creatinine was 2.4. It has been around 2.3 since I started the Lisinopril for blood pressure control and kidney longevity.   That marks three months of basically stable kidney function! I am really beginning to feel there is light at the end of the tunnel. I am still … Continue reading

12-13-12/Back in Hospital

I went to Yale today for a semi-routine visit – although there was some concern I “might” be in rejection.   My creatinine came back at 3.4! Needless to say they did an immediate biopsy (with results – at least preliminary results – coming tomorrow) and admitted me.   So I am in the hospital … Continue reading

11-6-12/BK Virus Getting Better, but In Rejection Again

First, the good news. The BK Virus has dropped about 30% in my blood and is not in my kidney.   Also good news: We survived Sandy. No power or heat or running water for 5+ days, but we did better than many. A generator is en-route as I never want to do this again … Continue reading

10-16-12/Not Ready For Prime Time

Overall, I have good news. I am feeling pretty good and my creatinine is stable (last reading was 1.8 – last week). I haven’t heard anything new on BK Virus – not even sure if they tested last week, so I might have to wait until the next blood test.   However, and this is … Continue reading

9-18-12/No More IVIG For Me!

I had my second IVIG treatment this past Thursday. Yale gave me 1/2 the dose, benadryl, tylenol, and cortisone. I was supposed to get the second 1/2 of the dose the following day. Of course, Friday I woke up with a fever and chills – again! I thought, “here we go again!” Luckily the fever … Continue reading